Re: Bei Mir Bist Du Sheyn

While you're at it, check out the *bizarre* West-Indian version recorded by
a band called "Felix and his Krazy Kats" (it's on Rounder's Calypso
Breakaway compilation CD 1054).  Could this be payback for the Andrews
Sisters' making off with the Lord Invader's "Rum and Coca-cola?"

Owen

At 09:18 PM 9/28/98 -0500, Wolf wrote:
>Guy Lombardo may have been the first to record "Bei Mir Bist Du Sheyn",
>but I doubt anyone would want to hear it twice.
>
>The absolute swingin'-est version of "Bei Mir Bist Du Sheyn" was
>recorded, not by the Andrews Sisters (whose version has merit) but by
>the late, great
>bluesman, " Mister Five By Five",  Jimmy Rushing  (o"h) --with Victor
>Feldman on piano.
>
> <Nec plus ultra>.  <S'iz nisht du vus tsu redn>.
>
>(Ella Fitzgerald's version is pretty good, too. ).
>
>Wolf Krakowski
>www.kamea.com

        Owen Davidson, Amherst, Mass.
        The Wholesale Klezmer Band

        The Angel that presided o'er my birth
        Said Little creature formd of Joy and Mirth,
        Go love without the help of any King on Earth.

                                Wm. Blake

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->