RE: why Jews became fiddlers

It's interesting that Reyzl should raise this question.  As a second
generation musician, this is a question I have thought about for a long time.
When I was young, I started learning the guitar because I was always taken
with folk singing at Jewish day camps.  However, in 8th grade, I was seriously
considering learning the violin as well.  This did go over really big with my
parents.  However, I ultimately decided against it.

Although it is not a cause, when you think of the great classical violinists -
many are Jewish - Stern, Haifetz, Pearlman.  I think the "get up and go"
aspect of the instrument contributes a lot.  However, my own personal theory
is that the violin is infinitely microtonal, and therefore one of the most
expressive of instruments.  Yes, I know that wind instruments can bend pitches
too, and have the added plus of being breath-based, but I think that the
violin is more expressive and ideosyncratic.  As to why violin vs. viola,
cello, etc., it's the highest and therefore the most out-front.

My wife, who is a non-Jewish composer and pianist, has a different theory.
When she hears my string writing, she just sighs and says "you Jews have
strings in your genes."

Jeffrey Schanzer

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->