Re[4]: Adon Olam

I agree 100%.  I am opposed to trivial and nonsense melodies with the exceptions
of Purim and perhaps simachas Torah.  However, drinking songs can be of a
different genre.  I understand that there is/was a drinking song called "To
Anacreon in Heaven" that has been giving a lofty role down here on earth!.
<smile>

Also, many people have objected to Imber's haTikvoh because they objected to
Imber  (i.e. he wasn't religous enough or he wasn't sober enough).  We can
sometimes separate a melody from its origins.

some people view Felix mendelsohnn as an ethnic jewish composer and are
comfortable with his melodies in the Synagogue, and others see him as a
meshumod.  Guilt by association becomes a VERY slippery slope.

Our shul uses a choral piece form Lewandowski begining with u'vzel kenofecho.
(it has a solo that begins from haskiveinu.  this melody has a few bars that are
reminiscent to "Stille nacht".  Ok.  did Lewandowski plagarize from Franz
Gruber?  I don't know.  the piece is traidtional in our shul.  does it have
baggage, it does to visitors unfamiliar with Lewandowski!  Some have asked me
what's that xmas Carol doing in the service?

We have already threaded itsy bitsy.  How about v'neemar?

3 blind mice
&
The farmer in the Dell.

What can we say?

I know that following the Mets triumph in 1969 people used Meet the Mets in
kedusho.  I think it's highly inappropriate.   Then againm Erev shel shoshanim
has made it into kedusho and might be construed to be equally inappropirate.

The list goes on and on.

Regards,
Rich Wolpoe