Re: Re[2]: Adon Olam

Rich:

Ah yes, and Darwin also said that the fittest shall survive. The reason
"Hatikvah," "THe Moldau," "Etz Chaim" (originally carried from Spanish
Jews to Amsterdam, I believe) have survived, is because it's a great tune.
"The Flintstones" is not.

The "Adon Olam" I'm referring to by the way is (in a minor) :
e-e-f-e-d-c-b-a

I myself don't care where a tune comes from, if it's good. However, we
should all bear in mind that music often can bear other connotations. Some
people look at a swastika and see an Anasazi Indian symbol, others look at
a swastika and want to take a baseball bat to the bearer.

I will always associate "The Flintstones" with American Television. I
don't want
to hear it in a synagogue. And -- hear we go -- I don't care to hear all
of this dye-dye-dye pseudo-nigunim sing-along stuff either. It just
doesn't put me in the mood to pray when I hear lousy music. Sorry, it's just
that lousy music
puts me in a lousy mood, and I try my best to avoid it.

Eliott Kahn

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998 richard_wolpoe (at) ibi(dot)com wrote:

>      Dear Elliot and List,
>         My background is not as deep as many of you out there.  however,
>      let me share with you a bit of insight that may be useful in
>      understanding this better.
>
>         Somewhere somehow tunes are composed, formulated what-have-you.
>      They are probably folk tunes.  They become popular.  The high-brows
>      such as Mozert or Smetana or Dvorak incoroporate these melodies into
>      what might be termed symphonic music.  the spiritual/religous folks
>      adapt the same type of melody into the liturgy.  The alcoholics and
>      party animals might make a nice drinking ditty out of it.  The
>      nationalisists may dapt it for patriotic purposes.
>
>    Our earlier thread on "hatikvo" is a good case in point.
>
>         Liturgy:  German congregations (eg Breuer's) uses this tune for v'lu
> moshi'im on both Chanukkah nad Purim.  Rabbi Breuer was not very Hatikov
> friednly so zionistic affiliation can be ruled out.
>
>         Patrotic:  Both Hatikva and Die Moldau
>
>         High Brow:  Again Die Moldau.
>
>         Folk tune:  The Romaninan folk tune having to do about donkey and a
> cart
> (as best as I can recall)
>
>         Party-goers: Well, it is a well_known fact that Imber enjoyed his
> schnapps.  <smile>
>
>         Ok, who stole from whom?  I think the best point to be made (as was
> made
> by Rabbi/Cantor Steve Langnas in a lecture on this subject) is that the
> original
> tune was adapted by MANY different composers for diverse use.  The root
> melody
> used as a drinking song may have been adapted independently into Adon Olom or
> into Ein Keloheinu without ANY knopwldge of a parallel adpatation into a
> drinking song.
>
>         yes, one may demonstrated taht the drinking melody was used before
> the
> liturgical use.  But it is difficult to prove that it was directly adapted
> from
> the drinking song; in fact it's unlikely.
>
>         So, if one were to adapt the William Tell Overture into something
> liturgical, it could be claimed that the composer was influenced by the Lone
> Ranger or Tonto, or just perhaps by Rossini.  go prove who's right?!
>
>         A rather iconoclastic Jew I knew claimed that Maoz Tsur was stolen
> from
> a Lutheran hymn  ( I forget the name).  I don't think so.  I think both
> Martin
> Luther and the 15/16th century Jews adapted an even older German folk melody
> for their own diverse purposes.
>
>         Remember, I believe Darwin said that humans and monkeys are descended
> from a common ancestor and NOT that humans are descended from monkeys.  There
> is
> a subtle but useful distinction here.
>
> Regards,
> Rich Wolpoe