Re: Klezmer

>I'm wearing out my Statman LPs with his mando playing. Any other music
>suggestions?

I have a suggestion that isn't Jewish, but it's a record of stuff that was
remastered by, I think, David Grisman -- I'm not sure cuz I have it on an
unlabeled tape. But it's some incredibly beautiful Argentine mandolin
performed by this guy Jacobo Bandolim -- this should be enough info to lead
you close to it, anyway. It's so so so worth a listen, mensch.

The Berlin klezmer band, La'om -- none of whom are Jewish but all of whom are
excellent musicians with the utmost respect for Jewish music -- have some
superb mandolinmanship on their recordings. Their mandolin player's name is
Carsten Schelp, and his email address is c(dot)shelp (at) t-online(dot)de for
more info.

And let's not forget anything and everything you can find featuring the
amazing Jeff Warschauer.

As for early recordings, I'm sure others on this list have a more encyclopedic
knowledge than I.

Happy listening!

jeff dorchen
shloinke