Re[7]: Der yidisher tam

Dear I-L
        I see your point.  let me play talmudist with you and give you some
hypothetical cases:

1)  A baal tefillo in yshiva sang unseaneh Tokef to alouette and hayom
te'amtsienu to Mendelsohn's weeing march (no NOT Wagner's).  At what point in
time can they be considred intrinsically jewish?

2)  nearly all the litvishe yeshiva's I know when they came to America recited
lecho dodi and eyl odon without any melody.  Most of those same yeshivos now
sing these peoms to either chassidic or popular jewish tunes.  have they
violated your definition of traidition by abondoning a nearly atonal recitation?

3)  Chazan ployni in Warsaw adapts a beautiful Polonaise to the davening.  Now
this piece migrates to America.  Is it wrong to substitute a piece by a 'modern"
composer, eg Shlomo Carlebach?

Also, I did not mean that we in America should adapt a new nusach and abaondn
those from the old world.  What I meant was, that since we in Americans come
from diverse places in the old World, including German, sepharadic, etc, we
should feel free to draw on any and all of them to build our own compiste
nusach.  if you re-read my emails, you'll note that I never recommnded
abondoning our reportoire, rather I think it should be expnaded to include a lot
more variety.

Where we do disagree is in the value of the Western traiditons, both Duthc and
German.  I think they're highly relevant to a Westernized culture such as we are
in America. You seem to advocate sticking with Eastern European modes,
particularly of the Moldvaian/Roumanian genre.  I say that these modes are not
necessarily any more jewish than lewandowski, rossi, etc.  I do not mean to
imply that they are valueless, or obsolete.  And as a matter of fact, many
Eastern European Chazzonim did adapt some Western pieces, and there are a number
of liturgical peices that East and West share in common.

Where we strongly agree is that we both respect our traditionas and our
histories nad we'd both like to preserve the musical contributions from the old
world.  My focus is to include ALL of the diverse traidtions from the old world
and not to feel restricted to a single subset.

I also advocate that new pieces build on the old traditionas at elast to an
extent that the innvoator should be well-versed with the "old stuff".  Despite
my belief in Halacho, I am NOT opposed to all liturgical innovation, I am
opposed to careless and thoughtless innovation.  Whether the prcess of
innovation is striclty halachic or not, it should ALWAYS be respectful of our
traditions.

I hope this helps stimulate further thought as well as discussion.  If we're
going to have a "Minhag America", let's build cadillacs and not jalopies.

Regards,

Rich Wolpoe
Best Re