klezmer = yiddish?

Please could someone explain to me the relationship between klezmer and
yiddish?

Are they / Were they always linked ?

Were there klezmer musicians in Europe who did not speak yiddish? where?

My understanding is that klezmer was jewish eastern european instrumental
music, and that yiddish is a language which happens to be spoken in most if
not all of the areas where klezmer was played. Is my confusion based on
time and geographical changes and definitions?

I suspect this may be a can of worms. However I keep hearing or reading
different bits of evidence and hope that this forum may provide more
information and perhaps a resolution.

thankyou
Ernie

Ernie Gruner
KALEIDOSCOPE MUSIC
Phone: 03.9386.7108   Fax: 03.9386.0947    Mobile: 0418.549.631
2 Cole Crescent, East Coburg 3058 , Victoria,  Australia
erniegru (at) mira(dot)net
INTERNATIONAL: Phone +613 9386 7108   Fax +613 9386 0947

MANAGEMENT for JUGULARITY, BRONWYN CALCUTT, KALINKA, KLEZMERITIS

A SELECTION OF PUBLIC EVENTS
Mar.6-9    Port Fairy Festival - JUGS & HOWLIN' WIND BAND & Klezmer
Workshop  (sold out)
Mar.12         Brunswick Music Festival - BRONWYN CALCUTT BAND
Mar.14           Bayside Festival - JUGS
Mar.15         Melb.Food.WineFestival - JUGS - The Botanical Gardens Breakfast
Mar.17        StPatricks day -  Duo with James Rigby - Cheers Hotel, Melbourne
Mar.21+     Apollo Bay Festival - JUGS & HOWLIN' WIND BAND  (great festival
- book soon!)
Mar. 13       Balnarring School Dance - JUGS
Mar.29         Traralgon Performing Arts Centre - JUGS, free
Mar.31           Cranbourne Golf Club - Monash String Quartet
Apr.4              Yarra Junction Steiner Music Fesitval - Ernie Gruner's
KLEZMER BIG BAND
April. 25/26 CYBERDANCE - Geelong Performing Arts Centre.  Dance meets
Multimedia.
TBC                JUGULARITY'S 10th anniversary concert - join our mailing
list now!

Also playing in a wedding, barmitzvah,  bushdance, jazz trio, string
quartet near you!

Wanted:  KLEZMER articles, sightings of recordings, sheet music,
overseas/OZ/NZ contacts.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->