Re: ATTENTION - The German thing...

> >1) In light of the WWII atrocities, should Jews go to Germany at all?
> >2) Should Jews who go to Germany play music there, as if nothing happened?
> >3) Should Jews who go there play JEWISH music there?
> >     a) for money?
> >     b) to let the Germans "atone"?
> >     c) to play out complexes?

Hi
I am a Physiotherapist from Switzerland, playing clarinet and trying to
perform a sort of klezmer or jewish music, oftenly in church, at
funerals, at normal services in a evangelic or catholic curch - why?

Working as physiotherapist, i have many patients with a subtile form of
antisemitism (i think that the controversy about nazi-gold in
Switzerland will be a great etical problem for many swiss "arier") and i
try to show to the people, that music could be a way to learn to
understand one another.

I don't have jewish roots (possibly I have - there is a jewish music
publisher "Shenker" and a german jewish composer "Schenker", but our
familiy history is (officially) proud to be german - I am quite a bit
different ...). I make arrangements of typical klezmer pieces but also
of jewish songs for clarinet and organ and it's very interesting to see
the reactions from the visitors in the curch.

I played in the easter-friday-service only jewish music (you have to
know, that the death of Jesus Christ is oftenly attributed in
christianism to the jews, in the middle-age a important cause of
progroms in the jewish community). There was two groups of reactions -
one group (the greater one) was thoughtful but positive, the other was
outraged, bad and very negative.

I see the same system of revendication - a little groupe of jews was
(really?) involved in the death of Jesus, reaction: All jews are
responsible for all the time. The nazis killed millions of jews - all
germans ar responsible...

I think that it's very difficult to accept the responsibility for the
actions of older generations - we should learn to understand the other
side, to share our experience, to respect the difference. Why not with
playing music?

Markus A. Schenker
Respiratory Physiotherapist
Instructor of Respiratory Physiotherapy
at School of Physiotherapy, University of Berne

Physiotherapie Laubegg
Friedlistr. 4
CH-3006 Bern
SWITZERLAND