Music and Politics for Jews [was mikis theodorakis]

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Ari Davidow wrote:

> I think that Mel has already suggested that while we can heartily agree on
> the responsibility of musicians to speak out when antisemitism is
> encountered, there will be many instances where perceptions as to what is
> actual antisemitism will differ.

That was not the point of my post. It is evident to all of us here that
"we can heartily agree on the responsibility of [Jewish] musicians to
speak out when [anti-Semitism] is encountered".

My question is similar, but of a different nature. What do we do, as
Jewish musicians, to counter the hatred that is espoused in OUR names. The
State of Israel claims to be a mouthpiece for the Jews of the world, as
AIPAC (the American Israel Public Affairs Committee) claims to speak for
all American Jews. Well, when I, as a Jewish musician, want my own voice
to be heard, how do I go about doing so, and how do I do it in the
context of America, and New York (since that's where I live), today?

In klezmer music, there is no explicit attachment to Israel or Zionism,
yet klezmer bands, as predominantly Jewish groups, are often booked for
gigs which benefit Israel or American Jewish lobbying groups. When you
have serious problems with the agendas being voiced by the groups you play
for, how should one reconcile their feelings?

I love Israel deeply from the time I have spent there, but am firmly
opposed to nearly every policy that has been put in place by its current
government. I know that, if I voice my opinions in the current political
climate, I am not likely to be well received; experiences on this list
can attest to that fact.

I have an obligation to my bandmates to play when we are booked for a
show. If I don't want to play, or try to make my feelings known, I will
be hurting them personally (financially if it paid) and potentially losing
future gigs for the band. On the other hand, if I play at a
rah-rah-go-Israel-beat-down-the-Arabs benefit (which I think is a fair
assessment of the atmosphere at many "pro-Israel" events), I feel like I
am not adequately representing who I am as a person - or as a musician
(not that I can separate the two).

This may be somewhat parallel to the Kol Isha debates I've seen here, but
I've never seen this particular topic discussed: how personal feelings
should play into the political and business sides of music. Have people
found a way to express such feelings in the music itself (whether through
the repertoire chosen or actual inflections(?) in the performance)?

Any thoughts?

-jeremy
http://klezmer.org