Fwd: A Yiddish Lesson

Listers-- not entirely relevant to music but even musicians have names.
Cyril Robinson
>Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:58:15 -0600
>To: Cyril Robinson <lunar (at) siu(dot)edu>
>From: Don Ugent <ugent (at) siu(dot)edu>
>Subject: A Yiddish Lesson
>

>Subject: For all those Jews wondering where their last names come from and a
>bissel yiddish too
>
>IF THE NAME IS JEWISH ... . . .
>DON'T MISS THE POEM AT THE END . . .
>"YIDDISH~~~THE SECRET CODE"
>How Jews got their Names....
>Other than aristocrats and wealthy people Jews did not get surnames in
>Eastern Europe until the Napoleon years of the early 19th century. Most of
>the Jews from countries captured by Napoleon, Russia, Poland, and Germany
>were ordered to get surnames for tax purposes.
>
>After Napoleon's defeat, many Jews dropped these names and returned to "son
>of" names such as: MENDELSOHN, JACOBSON, LEVINSON, etc.
>
>During the so called Emancipation, Jews were once more ordered to take
>surnames. In Austria The Emperor Joseph made Jews take last names in the
>late 1700s, Poland in 1821 and Russia in 1844. It's probable that some of
>our families have had last names for 175 years or less.
>
>In France and the Anglo Saxon countries surnames went back to the 16th
>century. Also Sephardic Jews had surnames stretching back centuries.
>Spain prior to Ferdinand and Isabella was a golden spot for Jews. They were
>expelled by Isabella in the same year that Columbus left for America.
>
>The earliest American Jews were Sephardic.
>
>In general there were Five types of names
>(people had to pay for their choice of names; the poor had assigned names):
>
>1-- Names that were descriptive of the head of household:
>Examples:
>HOCH (tall) ,
>KLEIN (small),
>COHEN (rabbi ),
>BURGER (village dweller),
>SHEIN (good looking),
>LEVI (temple singer),
>GROSS (large),
>SCHWARTZ (dark or black),
>WEISS (white),
>KURTZ (short)
>
>2 -- Names describing occupations:
>Examples:
>HOLTZ (wood)
>HOLTZKOCKER (wood chopper),
>GELTSCHMIDT (goldsmith),
>SCHNEIDER (tailor),
>KREIGSMAN (warrior),
>MALAMED (teacher)
>EISEN (iron),
>FISCHER (fish)
>
>3-- Names from city of residence:
>Examples:
>BERLIN,
>FRANKFURTER,
>DANZIGER,
>OPPENHEIMER,
>DEUTSCH (German)
>POLLACK (Polish),
>BRESLAU,
>MANNHEIM,
>CRACOW,
>WARSHAW
>
>4 -- Bought names:Examples:
>GLUCK (luck),
>ROSEN (roses),
> [...]

Cyril D. Robinson
520 N. Michaels St.
Carbondale, IL 62901
Tel: 618-549-0028
FAX: 618-453-6733
Archivist: Jewish Music Archives
Radio host: Cyril's Cabaret WDBX 9l.l FM
http://www.chipublib.org/008subject/001artmusic/jewish/jewishmain.html

---