+shers

Adrienne et al:

Deb Strauss and I this past summer collected a version of the sher that was
done by staff in the 40's at what is now KinderRing/Circle Lodge.  According to
our source, this version most certainly coordinated with the music- she said
the same tune (one of the Kalmen shers) came back everytime they circled at the
beginning of each time through the dance.  Also, after all the figures had been
completed, the drummer cued the group to beging "threading the needle" with 4
drum beats, and another 4 beats was the cue to unwind.
According to her, no one taught this sher, it was simply done every night after
work and one learned by watching and participating.  The ubiquitous Shalom
Secunda was in the band, as well as other 2nd Avenue musicians.
>From what I gather, they played the same tune over and over (probably not
>accetptable anymore)

This confirms something that I've suspected- different sher versions were
probably married to a specific tune or set of tunes, from which they in time
became disconncted. Most set dances (dances with partners performing a sequence
of figures) are allied with a specific tune, since the time of Playford in the
Elizebethan era at least.  The Patch tanz tune clearly had a dance to go with
it, the Israelis had to reinvent one to a truncated version of the tune.
Korobushka is always done to the Korobushka tune. Many contemporary musicians
have learned the sher from books, independant of any version of the dance, or
learned from sher suites like the Abe Schwartz versions, which must be
considered concert shers- none of the recordings are identical in phrasing.
Only not- set dances (lines, circles, solo) tend to operate independantly of
the tune, the variation of the tune gives the repetativeness of the dance some
variety.

So- what are we to do?  I'm going to teach the "Workman's Circle" sher at
Klezkamp, and insist that the musicians follow the dance. (Its not very hard to
figure out- 6 x 16 bars). For any other version, I think its important for the
teacher to work with the musicians on tunes that will fit that version.

Steve W.