Re: Klezmer article in this week's Forward

Maybe what we need then is a Jewish music equivalent of the Historically
Informed Performance school of classical music, using period instruments,
period tuning and period charts.
I'm not saying this to be disparaging;quite the contrary, I find the HIP
movement an endless source of fascination, new insights and, frequently, very
fine music.
But its impetus is significantly different from the one guiding the peformance
practice and aesthetic of, say, Claudio Arrau.

In fact, I thought at the time I first heard Alicia Svigals' 'Fiddlin'' CD that
she was aiming for something like HIP klezmer, likewise Budowitz and other
"traditionalist" bands.

It might be worth exploring to the extent that documentation exists -- ay,
there's the rub.

(It's interesting that these questions never come up in the same way for jazz,
perhaps because nearly the entire history of jazz coincides with the existence
of recording technology. Of course there are other questions of 'authenticity'
in jazz, but that's another story for another thread.)

George (Oy, Is he Authentic!) Robinson

When I play with my cat, who knows whether
she isn't amusing herself with me more than
I am with her?

   --Michel de Montaigne