Re: Klezmer article in this week's Forward

     But Jordan, we only know the roles of instruments because of either
recordings, or peoples writings on the music. And if we are saying we a
limiting ourselves to the late 1800's we also bring in laws about which
instruments the Jews were allowed to use? So if your saying the most
traditional style would be bands like Belf's Orchestra, but even they didn't
always use traditional instruments. You not going to shlep a piano around
from gig to gig, yet they use it on recordings.
     What your saying is that traditional is about the functional that each
instrument plays. So I could have a traditional band of electric guitar,
sitar, and melodica if each player is recreating a functional role. So I
don't think we can just look at roles of instruments, we also need to look at
the timbre of the instruments. So would one put a loud instrument in a band
of all soft instruments, or does one need other loud instruments?
     So of the four albums in Seth's article I am familiar with three of
them. (I haven't heard Paul Brody's album.) Which of them is the most
traditional? This is an easy question, it is Frank London's Brotherhood of
Brass. But where does a brass band fit in the continuum of Eastern European
Jewish Music? Brass band are loud, and wouldn't fit in with laws and
regulations restricting Jews to soft instruments. David Krakauer and The
Klezmatics both bring in more modern influences, but can both player in an
older style if asked to.
     And Roger brings this up when peoples opinions on other people and
bands. When we think of bands and people we think of a specific sound. Even
if that musician has multiple sounds and styles that they are able to play,
one of them is the one that the public knows. This is an issue that affects
all of the arts, not just music, and not just Jewish music.
     I think what I am trying to say is that we need to add to the ways that
we describe Klezmer music. Maybe like Gamelon music we need to add a caveat
as to if it is in the loud style, or the soft style. If an audience has no
idea what it is going to get when it comes to a concert billing itself as
klezmer, how can we build audiences? How am I (as someone born after the
Klezmer Revival began) going to be able to get my peer group to embrace the
music the same way that older generations do?

Matt Temkin

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->