Why genre classification is not only necessary but desired

While the more sophisticated musical listeners on this list might not
need the guidance that genre classification provides, I have today in my
mail the perfect example of why it is not only desired by the general
public, but necessary.

Naftule's Dream played recently here in Great Barrington, Mass. I wrote
a feature article for the Berkshire Eagle (daily newspaper) in advance
of that show, for which I interviewed bandleader Glenn Dickson. I
included plenty of quotes from Glenn explaining his group's unique
approach, and I was very careful (at least I THOUGHT I was careful) to
be sure to inform readers that if they went to this show, they were not
going to hear "traditional klezmer." I even used the term "avant-garde"
in the first paragraph (in fact, here is the first paragraph of the
piece, which can be found complete at http://www.rogovoy.com/427.shtml).

"When they feel like stretching out, improvising, or channeling some of
the myriad musical influences they bring to the bandstand besides
old-time Yiddish dance music, the members of the very traditional
klezmer ensemble Shirim go into the nearest phone booth, and like some
cartoon superheroes they change costume and come out as the
fire-breathing, avant-garde ensemble Naftule's Dream."

Pretty clear, right?

Well today in the mail I received a handwritten, scrawled note and a
ticket stub to that concert. The note read thusly:

"Seth -- I am giving you my ticket to Naftule's Dream as a reminder that
you do your readers a great disservice by recommending klez [sic] bands
which deliver avantgarde -- unlistenable -- music. Please stay alert to
your audience which seeks traditional enjoyment."

How can you win?

Seth Rogovoy
author of "The Essential Klezmer: A Music Lover's Guide to Jewish Roots
and Soul"
www.rogovoy.com
"even the most clueless goy will be able to appreciate this art form" --
Linda Daily Paulson, Dirty Linen Magazine