Yiddish folk dancing on campus

There was recently a klezmer concert/dance here at Tufts, so I asked Michael
McLaughlin, the band teacher, what he saw. The results are posted on the
KlezmerShack (try http://www.klezmershack.com/archives/000150.html if it's not
visible on the main page).

What I'm wondering, based on recent comments made to me in private, and to the
list, is whether there is noticable interest in Yiddish folk dancing, compared
to interest in Israeli dancing. Here in the Boston area, for instance, you can
do English Country Dance or Contradance, almost any night of the week. You can
dance to Balkan music almost as frequently. Israeli folk dancing is held
regularly at MIT and I believe, at least one other location. Yiddish dancing?
Not on most calendars. And it isn't clear to me that when such an event is
held, many Jews show up--it =does= seem like the sort of thing that attracts
some non-Jews who love any international folk dance more than, say, Jews.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/