Re: Why genre classification is not only necessary but desired

> "Seth -- I am giving you my ticket to Naftule's Dream as a reminder that
> you do your readers a great disservice by recommending klez [sic] bands
> which deliver avantgarde -- unlistenable -- music. Please stay alert to
> your audience which seeks traditional enjoyment."

So according to this person avantgarde = unlistenable

And by that bit of genre-classification they have just shut themselves off
from (for example) Brian Eno, John Coltrane and Frank Zappa all of whom
could have (at some point) been considered avant-garde.

Anyway, IMO anyone who can be scared off by Naftule's Dream already probably
has some fairly limited ideas of what things can be done musically.

                        ek (avant-garder & proud of it ;-)