Re: Richard Farina/Carolyn Hester

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ari Davidow" <ari (at) ivritype(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 5:19 PM
Subject: Re: Richard Farina/Carolyn Hester

> >Second guitar on the original of "Violets of Dawn" (which was covered by
> >band nicknamed "the Jewish Beatles," to keep this on topic)
>
> The Blues Project was called "The Jewish Beatles"? I guess it's
appropriate. Who in the original band wasn't Jewish?

On the first album the only person who wasn't Jewish was Tommy Flanders, who
left while they were making the album and only sings on 4 song.

Ironically, one of them was Violets of Dawn, which I think is the least
successful track on the album. Folk-Rock requires a lighter touch than they
had at the time. (I love Flanders' vocals on the other three songs he did on
the album, and his solo single "Moonstone" is amazing.) It's pretty
blatently a Byrd cop, too.