From: "Katie Marcus" <kmarcus (at) jccdet(dot)org>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 1:39 PM
Subject: A Jewish Odyssey

I have a few questions about this cd, I was hoping some people could
help me out...

1) This cd features Conseulo Luz, and Fortuna.  The notes on these
singers describes how both women are extremely interested in Sephardic
music and have released many albums in Ladino.  It mentions that
Conseulo has a Jewish connection on her mother's side, but was raised
Catholic, and it doesn't mention whether or not Fortuna is Jewish or has
Jewish ancestry.  Does anyone know if these singers are in fact Jewish?

2)  Ofra Haza is also featured on this album.  On the liner notes to her
song, it mentions that Yemenite Jewish music relies heavily on the
voice, since "Muslims of the Arabian peninsula largely banned musical
instruments."  I was under the impression that it was a Jewish custom of
Yemen not to use instruments as a mark of mourning for the destruction
of the Temple.  Drums, plates, jewelry,etc, were considered okay since
they were not considered 'real' instruments.  Which is it?  Did Muslims
or Jews ban the instruments, and for what reason?  Or was it a
combination.

Thanks.

Katie Marcus
Program Coordinator
Jewish Life & Learning
Jewish Community Center of Metro Detroit
6600 West Maple Road
West Bloomfield, MI 48322
(248) 432-5470
(248) 432-5552 (FAX)