Re: Passover Food

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Schoeller" <schoeller (at) attbi(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 11:26 PM
Subject: Re: Passover Food

> Marc,
>
> At services our Rabbi quote Maimonides, something on along the lines of
> 7 days being enough to time to really feel like you have switched over
> to something different, one day or just a couple of days being too
> short.
>
> I understood that to mean that you had to eat Pesadik long enough to
> really get tired of it!  Ah, the joy of pizza and beer after 8 days of
> matzah.  8^)
>
> Dick

Pesach is celebrated for 7 days in Israel.  As for some other holidays, many
years ago it was decided to add an extra day to some holidays to allow for
uncertainty about when the new month starts - which is when the new moon
appears in Israel.  Reform Judaism decided that the extra days aren't needed
any more.  Itwas part of a process of deciding betwen Torah-based rules and
traditions.