RE: How Could Szpilman Stay in Poland?

Lee,

The only point that I would make in response is that the Pole who fought was
a political and that had nothing to do with his / her attitude towards Jews.
It was in fact the Polish resistance that perpetrated most of the immediate
post war pogroms.  The Pole who helped Jews was the true rarity.  My mother
encountered both.  She was saved by a Pole, her husband was murdered by a
Pole and her second husband was murdered in a pogrom by the Polish resistanc
resistance 8 months after the liberation.  The vast majority of Poles
collaborated or were active participants in the Shoah.  Accepting that fact
is no way ?making outrageous comparisons to the Germans?, German crimes are
indeed ?without parallel?, but the crimes of the collaborators need to be
remembered as well.

I would also comment on the fact that your French analogy falls short as
well.  The French, for the most part, collaborated in the mass murder of
Jews, and this included members of the resistance.  Just like in Poland it
was the rare person, or in some cases village that resisted by saving Jews.

Really, the only point in your post with which I would agree is that
?things? were very complicate, but it is condescending to say that
American-born Jews are unable to cut through the misinformation, or
disinformation, including yours, and understand the true situation.

Mordi