Re: Joy of Klez--unsolicited praise

In a message dated 1/7/2003 3:59:10 PM Central Standard Time,
l_cahan (at) staff(dot)chuh(dot)org writes:

> Lori, except for the studio part and for the transcriber's time, I don't see
> where it would cost all that much to print them yourselves and either get a
> binding machine for spiral bound books, which stay open easier anyway, or
> to take them to Kinko's (for example), and burn the CDs yourself, which
> takes more time than money.  Those of us who have bought the first volume
> would surely get the second, and Velvel would probably ask you for the
> requisite 30 free copies and pay you a pittance thereafter.  I think the
> only person who gets rich on Velvel's transactions is Velvel.

I seriously doubt he gets rich on his transactions!  His is not a
money-making business.  I know, because I charge more than the other
klezbands in Chicago and barely make a living.  The bigger your businesss,
the more expenses.

I don't think I'd have the time to do any publishing myself.  I think the
best suggestion that's come up is trying to do something on the internet.
Some companies do it already--I've bought several arrangements and lead
sheets on line.  So, it can be done--and probably more profitably than trying
to go into the music book printing and distribution business!