Re: folk fiddlers

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words, Yankl, Bob, and Jill.

I'd like to second the motions about Steve Greenman, Cookie Segelstein, and
Bob Cohen. They're all great. And I hope no one will forget the wonderful
Deborah Strauss!

I heard a really fine Greek violinist from Thessaloniki named Kyriakos
Gouventas playing with Savvina Yannatou in a concert of Greek Sephardic
music at the DC Holocaust Museum some 2 or 3 years ago. And if you're
looking for a top-notch violinist in the USA playing Greek and Turkish
music, Beth Bahia Cohen sure fits the bill.

For Romanian fiddlers *from Romania*, I'd get in touch with Speranta
Radulescu there. She's an ethnomusicologist who's worked and toured along
with many of Romania's best gypsy and folk fiddlers. She's associated with
the Museum of the Romanian Peasant in Bucharest. If you need her contact
info, please drop me a line at sandra (at) sandralayman(dot)com .

Harold Hagopian, who runs Traditional Crossroads records in NY, might be
worth contacting, as he's a violinist who plays Turkish and Armenian music
as well as classical. Or you could contact Golden Horn records in Calif. for
their ideas about Turkish violinists.

Ihsan Ozgen is a fantastic and soulful kemence -- classical Turkish
pear-shaped fiddle -- player, and I believe his daughter also plays violin
(?). Ihsan Ozgen is based in Istanbul.

Of course, there are some violinists from India doing amazing things with
the instrument, too. And there are traditional Latin American fiddle styles,
too, about which someone else on the list must know more than I.

Sandra Layman