Re: Madonna music video stirs unease among Jews

I know we're off topic here... I promise this will be my last on this
subject.

Dear r l,

Actually I agree with much of what you're saying, and I DO have personal
experience - both with the Kabbalah Learning Center, and a close family
member who was involved with a cult that was much worse than the KLC.

Years ago I took classes with the KLC and was very disturbed by their
"cultishness".  I was fascinated by the material and turned off by the
people who taught it.  The thing to do is to not confuse the message with
the messenger...  People gravitate towards cults for emotional reasons above
all else... as the famous saying goes, with a twist - "cults happen".  I
also experienced the devastation of a close (very) relative who was
brainwashed by a cult,  was in touch with the Cult Awareness Network for
that reason... to no avail, the damage was done and he broke contact with
most of the family...  Some people have a weak inner constitution... and
that is what makes cults happen - not the Kabbalah itself or any other
catalyst. I don't know if Berg is a "thief" - but perhaps he's doing more
good than harm by making the Kabbalah available people who otherwise would
never have even heard bout it.

And what do you make of thousands of "modern, liberal Jews" who are
"devastated" by loved ones becoming "ba'alei t'shuva"? Don't many of our own
religious groups fit the definition of a cult - perfectly...?  Some of my
Israeli friends were "very concerned" about me when they learned that I was
getting involved with Jewish liturgical music... they feared I was becoming
a "hozeret bit'shuva"...like I got sucked into some cult.

All I'm saying is that we should be very careful and very honest with
ourselves before jumping to label, condemn, criticize and ridicule others...
not to fall into the trap of "sin'at chinam" (gratuitous hate) because
according to our own teachings it is a sin... If we get all self righteous
about something (including myself here...;-) perhaps it's a signal that one
of our own issues need some examination...

Shirona

Singer, Songwriter and Teacher of Jewish Music
 Visit my website at    www.shirona.com
Listen to my music at www.mp3.com/shirona