Tangential to the Madonna Thread

Jewish Fund-Raiser Drops Nimoy Over Nude Book Photos
Organization Says Actor Contracted Talk Of His 'Jewish Journey'
POSTED: 11:52 a.m. EDT October 11, 2002
UPDATED: 5:53 p.m. EDT October 11, 2002

Actor and photographer Leonard Nimoy says he's "shocked" over being dropped
from a Jewish fund-raiser because of his book that features naked and
near-naked women with Jewish artifacts.

The star of the original "Star Trek" told the Seattle Times that the book
"Shekhina" is "reverential," and is about the "feminine presence of God." He
added that "this is not some figure that is a foggy mist in a cloud
somewhere. I have depicted her as being a flesh-and-blood woman."

But Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle's director Barry Goren said the
organization got complaints about the photos, which led to the cancellation
in an interview with the Times.

The Times described the book's cover, which shows a woman with a nipple
visible through a translucent garment. She also has phylacteries -- a
traditional Jewish prayer accessory -- wrapped around one arm.

Goren added that the federation "invited Leonard Nimoy because he's a
well-known Jewish person that would be a draw for our donors." He claimed he
contracted Nimoy in July "not to talk about his book, but to talk about his
'Jewish journey,' a speech he has given in Jewish organizations before."

According to the Times, Nimoy's publicist nor the Jewish Federation would
release a copy of the contract.

Nimoy learned he was being replaced during an "unpleasant" conversation with
Goren. He told the Times the cancellation "may be an anomaly. I hope it is.
We have not had this kind of reaction anyplace else."

Former "Saturday Night Live" actor and political satirist Al Franken replaced
Nimoy at the event, scheduled for Oct. 23.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->