Re: Scarborough Fair tune/simkhe dissonance

I feel the same way as Lori about many bar / bas mitzve parties that
I've attended as a guest.  I mean, do they really have to play YMCA?
Is the Macarena a song that reflects Jewish values and traditions?
Even at Jewish weddings where they play the obligatory "hora" set,
and spend most of the time with pop music I feel that something is
lost.

We try to educate our customers about Jewish traditions and bring
those traditions to the celebrations we perform at.  If the customers
don't want that, we decline the gig even though it hurts the wallet.
We have a workshop in our repertoire called, "How to dance at a
Jewish Wedding."  Recently, at the Conference on Judaism in Rural New
England, instead of doing that workshop, we recreated a whole (well
almost whole) traditional wedding during our evening concert time,
including khosn's tish, kale bazetsn, badkhones, broyges tants, etc.,
teaching the meaning of the various customs to the conference
attendees.

It's a bit too long to put into this email, but everyone is welcome
to read what we have to say about bar mitzves in our guide to
traditional music and dance for bar and bas mitzve celebrations at:
        http://www.WholesaleKlezmer.com/bmitzve.html
and I, too, would love to hear others' thoughts and experiences are.

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band
Colrain, MA 01340
voice/fax: 413-624-3204
http://www.WholesaleKlezmer.com
Please include your USPS address and phone number in your email
signature on all business correspondence.