Re: mitzvot music (was Scarborough Fair tune)

In a message dated 7/16/02 11:19:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lubet001 (at) umn(dot)edu writes:

> Actually, I've never been in a situation where the problem was anywhere
> near that complex.  In a case of my own son's bar mitzvah, the music we
> engaged got the times wrong and had to leave early, about the time people
> had finished eating and might have wanted to dance.  Unfortunately, simchas
> tend to get treated his way all too often.

In my experience as dance leader I have found that the caterers have some
responsiblity.  If you book the hall, the band and the dance leader until 5pm
it is imperative to communicate to the caterer that food be available until
5pm.  If dessert is served by 3pm many of the guests will leave by 3:30 and
the catering staff will start cleaning up around the guests that remain.
They take this a a cue to leave as well. So now there is nobody left to play
music for, dance with or take pictures of and you still have to pay everyone
for the remaing hour and a half.>

Willa Horowitz

Leader and teacher of Israeli, Jewish and International folk dance

130 Mount Sanford Road
Hamden, CT 06518
203-248-0291

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->