Re: College level Jewish Music course

For a college survey, I'd use:

Gradenwitz, Peter,1910- The Music of Israel :from the biblical era to modern
times \.2nd ed., rev. and expanded.Portland, Or. :Amadeus Press,1996.

Of course, you'll have to supplement sections on hazzanim, klezmorim, and
Sephardic and Mizrahi music, but you will get a broad, fairly accurate and
up-to-date historical overview.

I definitely concur with the importance of the articles on Jewish music in New
Grove II (2000) and in the Encyclopedia Judaica by Hannoch Avennary.

Dr. Eliott Kahn
Music Archivist
Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America
3080 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
WK: (212) 678-8076
FAX (212) 678-8998