College level Jewish Music course

David:
You've presented one of the big dilemmas for anyone wishing to teach this
subject matter. There is no one comprehensive readable text in English, and
each teacher more or less needs to start from scratch.

I can tell you that there is a book forthcoming that will answer our
problems for an American style textbook for a college level course in Jewish
music. John Baron of Tulane University, and Emmanuel Rubin of UMASS Amherst,
are collaborating. It's not out yet, and not likely to be for this Fall, as
far as I know.
You should contact John Baron, as he's taught survey courses to undergrads
in Jewish music for years and years. He's a great teacher, (I can personally
testify to this) and knows this material inside out, up and down, backwards
and forwards and understands what works for students.

In the meantime, a series of reserve readings is really the way to go,
rather than a textbook. That is how I would design a course, especially
given the nature of music...

For a listing of books I recommend on American Jewish music, you may consult
the article I wrote in "Reader's Guide to Judaism" (Fitzroy-Dearborn, 2000)
which covers listings for "American Jewish Music"

The New Grove's 2000, if you have it online, or even if not, is excellent
and really a good way to go for all the general Jewish music topics. EJ on
CD ROM would be a good purchase for your library if they don't own it,
because the students can keyword search. The American supplements you'd need
(neither Groves or EJ cover the American music as thoroughly as one would
hope), can be found summarized with Mark Kligman's article.(which is
probably the best summary around about the contemporary American scene).
Eliott's suggestion of using Peter Gradenwitz makes a lot of sense, and can
be read by non-music majors. Gradenwitz also has some depth and would give
students a feel for the material.  I would assign readings from Shiloah but
not use as a text if you have a lot of non-majors, which is most likely.
Passport by Heskes is a very good outline, but she stays in bibliography
range.  I would keep Passport on Reserve and let them buy Gradenwitz, which
is a great book to own anyway.

David, I have years and years of articles I've been collecting here at the
office if you're looking for readings... so if you'd like to come by early
this summer and spend some time thumbing through the files to get some
ideas, you're welcome.

And don't forget: I have a research guide online on my website:
http://www.jmwc.org/jmwc_resmusic.html
which will probably be updated by the Fall.

To Francesco: Don't know, but I don't think the online course by Edwin is
still up at UCLA.

Judy