Re: College level Jewish Music course

While I am far from an expert on the subject, I don't know that you will find a
book which satisfies your criteria.  You might want to take a look at Jewish
Musical Traditions by Amnon Shiloah, a paperback published by Wayne State
University Press, which has some helpful material but is rather idiosyncratic
in its treatment of the subject, I think.

More of a survey, and a book which reflects more of her concerns as a librarian
and bibliographer, but still useful (and perhaps especially for a general
college audience) is Irene Heskes' (o'l v.) Passport to Jewish Music, published
in paper by Tara.

You will probably want to use portions of both, and perhaps some material from
Ruth Rubin's The Voices of A People and Henry Sapoznik's Klezmer! Jewish Music
from the Old World to Our World.

Does S.Conn.SU have a service that allows you to get the necessary permissions
to put together a syllabus?  I think that's probably the way you'll want to go.

Shira Lerner
Yiddishkayt LA