Re: Hebrew Stress

At 08:05 AM 4/12/02, I. Oppenheim wrote:
>While Dutch, Litvian, Portuguese or Yemenite Jews may
>pronounce Hebrew in very different ways, when speaking
>proper Hebrew they all place the stresses at exactly
>the same places.
>
>In Hebrew, stresses are not a matter of taste or local
>custom: they are determined by grammar. Therefore there
>does not exist something like "sephardi stress" or
>"askenazi stress".

Wrong.  This is wishful thinking and/or denial of empirical evidence, but
the fact is that Ashkenazi Hebrew was =spoken= (i.e. read out loud whether
in prayer, study or in some instances, even conversation) by millions of
European Jews with primary stresses generally falling on the penultimate
syllable irrespective of the "grammatical" stressess (i.e. as exemplified
by the trope system) or what you call "proper Hebrew".  Exceptions were
usually made when reading from the Torah, but not always.  As a matter of
fact, to this very day expert Torah readers in Chassidic shtiebels ignore
these stresses while sticking meticulously to all other details of "proper"
Torah reading.  And of course the preponderance of Yeshiva-educated
Ashkenazi Jews outside of Israel continue to use the Ashkenazi
pronunciation system, as do many within Israel for liturgical use.

A good resource on this topic is <<Hebrew in Ashkenaz: A Language in
Exile>> Oxford University Press, 1993, edited by Lewis Glinert.

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ