Re: "well-tempered"?

Yeah us string players who play chords know all about this.  Because of
subtleties in ratios between harmonics, an "evenly tempered" instrument-- e.g.,
tune each note exactly to what a metronone says it should be-- might not sound
great when you're playing chords.  Why banjos can sound great in one key but
may sound out of tune in another.  Especially effects plucky sounding
instruments like banjos, tsimbls and especially harpsichords, where there have
been many treatises written on the issue.  THere are a bunch of different
tuning systems that optimize particular keys.  Here's a couple of sites that
introduce the concept:
 http://users.bestweb.net/~rmp/
http://www.i-way.co.uk/~storrs/jsw/English/Tuning.html
  Robert Cohen <rlcm17 (at) hotmail(dot)com> wrote: Last week, in response that
started with an inquiry about "Etz Harimon" (one
of my absolute favorite Israeli folk songs, fwtw), Roger Reid charmingly
signed his post this way:

Roger "My Piano and my Tsimbl are Well Tempered, not Equally Tempered" Reid

I'm puzzled: The Harvard Dictionary of Music, in its discussion of Bach's
"Well-Tempered Clavier," says "the name refers to the then novel system of
equal temperament." So what's the difference?--and Roger, what did you mean
by this playful signature?

(What *should* we call these riffs that some folks, esp. George R., insert
in their signatures, btw?)

--Robert "I'm staying as even-tempered as I can" Cohen