Re: Benny Goodman

Aside from the (overwhelmingly better known) "And the Angels Song" (referred
to in a previous post), the Goodman band also recorded "My Little Cousin,"
with vocalist Peggy Lee, whose music is the music of "Der Greene Cousine,"
the classic Yiddish-theater song about a new/"green" immigrant.  The words
are kind-of insipid English--a bland love song with no relationship to the
original, rich lyric (in endless verses) of the journey of a new immigrant
from intoxication with the promise of America to bitter disenchantment with
the hard life he winds up with.

--Robert Cohen