Re: Benny Goodman

I'll put my 2 pennies worth in but someone else may have
more in depth info. Mine's just opinion based on scant
memories of films & books on jazz.
I'm pretty sure that BG was embarassed about his poor
family & distanced himself from his family background
when he first found success. I know he was supporting his
parents & siblings from music earnings from a very early
age...14 I think.
The song "And The Angels Sing" is noted as Yiddish of
course, from Der Shtiler Bulgar but as stated in the
Complete Klezmer, that was brought to the band by
trumpeter Harry Finkleman (Ziggy Elman). I'm sure there
were one or two more but this was not a real feature of his
repertoire. There's definitely something in his sound
though isn't there?

>One of my bar mitsve students (I help prepare kids for
their bar and bas mitsves at a secular Jewish Sunday
school here in LA) has chosen that discreet and
manageable topic "Jewish Musicians."  With a little
prodding, he's narrowed it down a bit to Benny Goodman
and Leonard Bernstein.  We are hoping the list can help
with 2 questions we have about Benny Goodman:

>1. Is there any information about Goodman's feelings
about his Jewishness?  Any comments he made or letters
written that would be helpful, or a particular bio which
discusses this?

>2. Did he arrange or record any Jewish songs?
>
>Undoubtedly, we'll have some questions in a few weeks
about Leonard Bernstein. ;-)
>Thanks for your help!
>Shira Lerner
>
>---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org