Re: Yahrzeit

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Robert A. Rothstein wrote:

> So, pace friend Oppenheim, it does not seem to be the
> case that "[t]he German 'Jahrzeit' has the same
> meaning as the Yiddish 'yortsayt'" -- unless
> German-speaking Jews use the German word in that
> sense.
>
>             Bob Rothstein

Jahrzeit is definitely an archaic word. All I wanted to
say is that Jahrzeit is an existing German word (among
other things meaning 'a religious ceremony in memory of
a deceased person on the anniversary of death') and
that yortsayt derives from Jahrzeit and not the other
way round.

Having said this, the purpose of your original remark
was, and is crystal-clear to me.

  Irwin Oppenheim
  i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl