Italian connections...

Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco ties with Italian Jewish music still need
to be explored. As far as I can understand (although there is a book
out that covers most of his work -- I have to check in our archive),
he set for organ music a few Italian synagogue pieces (organ was
widely used in Italy until WW2), as a hommage to his family's
heritage, which was Tuscan, hence a mixture of Italian and Ashkenazi
minhagim. I am not sure that his vocal pieces have anything to do
with Italian Jewish music, though.

Betty Olivero is indeed an Israeli composer, who has lived in Italy
for several years. She is now back in Israel.

Alberto Hemsi, born in Turkey, did have an Italian connection. In
fact, he was an Italian citizen (as were many Sephardic Jews), and
received a degree from the Milano Music Conservatory, and even fought
in the Italian army during WW1. In his memoirs (check the
introduction to the "Cancionero Sephardi", edited by E. Seroussi and
published by the Hebrew University), he recalls studying music
history in Milan, were the teacher denied any autonomy to Jewish
music. In his later years, he suggested that such a denial prompted
him to research traditional Sephardic music.

As far as traditional Italian Jewish music is concerned, the CD I've
edited, "Italian Jewish Musical Traditions. From the Leo Levi
Recordings (1954-1961)" -- which is about to be released by the
Hebrew University, as I will soon announce to the list in a separate
message -- offers a selection of 42 samples of Italian chazanut and
folk songs of various origins.

Concerning the role of Jewish composers in 20th century Italy -- and
their disappearance after the Anti-Semitic Laws were approved by
Fascism in 1938 -- Yuval Italia has recently formed a study group,
with the aim of gathering information, collecting musical materials
and reconstructing a quite relevant part of the past century's
musical history.

Francesco

--

YUVAL ITALIA      Centro Studi Musica Ebraica
the  Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

via della Guastalla,19            20122 Milano Italy
tel/fax +39 02 55014977    yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it
            http://www.powerlink.it/yuval