Re: Maoz Tzur & Shavuot

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 SamWeiss (at) bellatlantic(dot)net wrote:

> Your observation is relevant to Dutch practice, but does not bear
> strongly on the German minhag which Werner is discussing.

I guess that concerning minhag, Holland can best be considered to be a
province of Germany.

An then again, the melody favoured by the 'Obercantor' of Dantzig,
need not necessarily be the tune en vogue in a typical south German
community...

> If you could send me the PDF file of the Dutch tune, I would like to see
> it.  Thanks.

Due to popular demand, I decided to dedicate
a home page to the poem and its tune(s).
Please have a look at:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~danio/irwin/music/

I included a midi and a gif file of the score.

I guess that the tune is adapted from a folk song,
but on the other hand, the range of pitch is somewhat
large for a folk song.
Any suggestions?

If anybody could provide me with a gif and possibly a midi
file of the *Venetian Ma'oz Tsur* tune,
I would like to include it as well on the web page.
I don't know this melody yet.

If someone has some other relevant information
I'll add it too.

Thank you for your valuable remarks in this discussion.

Regards,
Irwin Oppenheim