Maoz Tzur & Shavuot

At 02:49 PM 12/25/01, Robert Cohen wrote:
>I can find no mention, Sam, now that I've done some (more) reading, of
>"Ma'oz Tsur" as perhaps a hymn for Shavuous--Who says/thinks so, and on
>what basis?  As anomalous as it is that we sing "Ma'oz Tsur" only for
>Chanukah (as opposed to, say, Purim, or Passover), its singing, or
>reciting, on Shavuous would presumably be even odder, as it's one holiday
>that's *not* referred to.  So whence?

The journey from Shavuot is not so odd:
Shavuot=>Blintzes. Blintzes=> sour cream. Sour cream=>latkes. Latkes=>Chanukah.
Not convinced?  Neither was I, so I scoured my memory bank, but that
account seems to be dormant for quite a while.
I did some reading and came across what =could= have been the original
source for my assertion.  But if it was indeed my only source, then I had
misremembered it and I need to retract my statement that the poem Maoz Tzur
might have once been sung on Shavuot.  (But frankly, I think there was some
other source that I cannot now locate.)  The silver lining is that the
information coming from this source is undoubtedly more interesting to this
list than my original statement.  In a nutshell, it's the Maoz Tzur
=melody= that might have originated on Shavuot.

[The following is excerpted from p.90 of  ?A Voice Still Heard... The
Sacred Songs of the Ashkenazic Jews? by the late eminent musicologist Eric
Werner (Pennsylvania State University Press). FYI, Werner?s use of
?Ashkenazic? and ?Minhag Ashkenaz? in this important book is almost always
limited to Western Ashkenazic (German) usage and sources.]

<< Ma'oz Tzur: The poem is by an Italian hymn writer named Mordecai, of the
thirteenth century. The melody is definitely of German chorale character,
consisting of three parts, each derived from a different source?
?The background of Ma'oz Tzur is still more complex. The first allusion to
the tune -- but by no means the complete melody -- is found in [Ahron]
Beer's manuscript (ca. 1760).  There it is not identified in any way with
Hanukkah, but rather with Shavuot [i.e. applied to ?neutral? texts like
Hallel. S.W.]?

The first identification with the popular Hanukkah melody seems to have
occurred in Braham and Nathan's song to Lord Byron's ?Hebrew Melodies,? in
particular in the song "On Jordan's Banks" (1815).  There is evidence that
other melodies were sung to the text of Ma'oz Tzur: first, a melody of
older vintage about which we hear only indirectly [i.e. without any musical
information], and yet another?  transmitted by the Venetian composer
Benedetto Marcello. Marcello cites the tune as "Intonazione sopra ma?oz
tzur." Today in Israel this noble tune is generally preferred to the
Germanic one.

That melody [i.e. the ?standard? tune] seems to have become customary in
German synagogues about 1750 or even a little earlier.  Yet the fact
remains that meter and syllabic stress of the tune invariably go against
the Hebrew accentuation. This would be unimportant if the Marcello tune had
the same flaws; however, that version fits the Hebrew accents precisely.
[Note: I find this point of Werner?s, repeated below, not at all
convincing. -S.W.]  Moreover, there exists another poem for Hanukkah that,
in turn, is much better suited to the Germanic tune than is the customary
Ma'oz Tzur. It is the old Piyut, ?Sh'ney Zeytim? (Two Olive Branches),
which used to be chanted on the Sabbath of Hanukkah. The meter of that
Piyut truly matches the metric structure of the Germanic tune.

At this point I submit a conjecture that I cannot prove decisively: the
original tune of Ma'oz Tzur in Minhag Ashkenaz was the one transmitted by
Marcello, which fits the rhymes and stresses of the text exactly. At the
same time the older Piyut, Sh'ney Zeytim for the Sabbath of Hanukkah was
sung to the Germanic tune. When, however, that Piyut fell into oblivion,
the cantors and congregations, unwilling to give up the popular tune,
transferred this much more catchy air to the text of Ma'oz Tzur. In the
United States, where even this text is not too familiar, the melody is
maintained in an English paraphrase, "Rock of Ages." >>

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ