Re: Gottheil/Maoz Tsur--P.S.'s

Hi, until I hook up the record player, I can't be sure, but I think the
(Lutheran?) _tune_ to Maoz Tsur is used on a Moroccan Passover recording,
with words appropriate to Passover, not Channukah, not Shavuot and not the
Lutherans.

Hope this helps more than hurts??

At 07:49 PM 12/25/2001 +0000, Robert Cohen wrote:
>Can anyone help this phonetically impaired soul (who once broke up a
>junior high school class by pronouncing "deluge" [as in the flood/Noah]
>like "deluxe"--i.e., to rhyme with "fudge"--which I *still* think was
>perfectly justified!!!)--Anyway, can someone provide a phonetic
>pronunication, with accent, of "Gottheil"--and, for that matter, of his
>first name (Gustav)?
>And, for good measure, of his songwriting partner Jastrow--rhymes with
>"low"/"flow"/"sow"? (as opposed to "how"/"now"/"cow"?)
>
>Thanks in advance--and for all the info thus far; so glad I raised the
>question (of "Rock of Ages" authorship)!
>
>Speaking of which:  I can find no mention, Sam, now that I've done some
>(more) reading, of "Ma'oz Tsur" as perhaps a hymn for Shavuous--Who
>says/thinks so, and on what basis?  As anomalous as it is that we sing
>"Ma'oz Tsur" only for Chanukah (as opposed to, say, Purim, or Passover),
>its singing, or reciting, on Shavuous would presumably be even odder, as
>it's one holiday that's *not* referred to.  So whence?
>
>Would be pretty ironic if so, btw, as Judith's informant Solly advises
>that the "Ma'oz Tsur" melody would sometimes be wheeled into place by
>cantors on Shavuous, to be followed by sarcastic "Happy Chanukah"
>greetings exchanged after the service!
>
>--Robert Cohen

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
***PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL***
Email:          joel(dot)br (at) verizon(dot)net
Reflections on Sept. 11, 2001 at: http://joelbresler.tripod.com/Reflections.htm