Re: Dancing

I know from conversations with Zev that he expects to be in New York for a
period of time this fall, and that he's interested in teaching dance while
he's there.

At KlezKanada this past year Zev ended up teaching a dance to the tsimbl
class one morning. We were discussing the proper rhythm for playing a sher,
and it developed that the logical way for us to understand the rhythmic
subtleties was to learn the dance. Zev soon had us dancing a sher around our
tsimbls. It was one of the high points of my week.

As a musician who plays often for dancing, I was going to say in response to
earlier parts of this thread that lack of knowledge of the dances affects
the music and the musicians, not just the dancers. For instance, I wouldn't
know if I was playing the sher incorrectly if no one knew the dance. There's
nothing like playing for dancers who are doing traditional dance, to really
'get' the music.

Beverly