Re: Dreydl

I would like to think that the Yiddish text came first, as "I am made from lead"
makes so much more sense than "I made it out of clay".  I read an article in a
publication called "Being Jewish" (Center for Relevant Judaism) by the
granddaughter of Samuel Goldfarb, whom she names as composer, and S. S. Grossman
as lyricist.

This woman, Susan Wolfe, also claims that Sam and his brother Israel wrote the
melodies for Shalom Aleichem, the Friday night Kiddush, Adon Olam and the
"traditional" Birkhat Hamazon.

On the other hand, I think I remember seeing Gelbart books that have him down as
composer for tunes I have seen attributed to others.  He was so prolific and
wrote so many lovely and memorable melodies.  Anyone have inside info?

While I'm at it, I think I'll beef about Velvl Pasternak's Songs of Israel (I
think that's the name.  A friend of mine has it)  I was incredibly annoyed to
see Yiddish songs in this book in Hebrew.  No Yiddish lyrics were present.
Another thing that bugs me is the lack of attributions as to lyricist/composer
in many of his publications, including this one.

Lor(see how easily bugged I am?)ele