Re: 78 Transfers

    When you go to a studio the hardware that they are most likely using is
made by a company named Cedar. They have 4 modules that deal with Hum,
Crackle, Noise, and Click.  They go for around $15,000 per module new. They
have some computer versions of their products, but they only work on the
SADiE platform. These plug-ins go for $3,000 to $4,000 a piece.
    A German company has developed a product that does the same thing, they
sell it as a stand alone product. I can't remember the name of the company or
product but I do remember that it goes for around $5,000. An Israeli company,
Waves, as adapted this product to work as a plug-in in the RTAS, AudioSuite,
VST, MAS, and DirectX environments depending on your computing platform. The
list for the plug-in is $1,200, last time I check the street price was just
under $1,000.
    I have had a chance to play around this software, I should give the name.
It is Restoration. It does the job of the four cedar units, it happens to be
four separate plug-ins. I hope to be getting a computer soon to be able to do
this work and this is the software that I will be building it around. It is
not that hard to work, and I did not find it that time consuming. The key is
too leave some noise behind otherwise you will spend forever trying to get
the last couple of noises out of it.
    For those of you who aren't interested in spending a large amount I can
recommend another device that already sits on my desk. And this may be enough
for most of you to be able to get most of the noise out of the signal. KAB
makes a couple of Signal Processors (www.kabusa.com). I have a VSP MK2 unit,
and am very happy with it. Depending on the model that you go with they are
less than $1,000.

Matt Temkin - Mattflight (at) aol(dot)com
    Assistant Archivist; Klezmer Conservatory Foundation
    Jewish Music Percussionist