Re: internet radio station

on 11/10/01 6:58 PM, Ari Davidow at ari (at) ivritype(dot)com wrote:

> I think that one of the first things you'd need would be some tracking to
> pay royalties to the folks you broadcast. I know that ASCAP, and possibly
> BMI have annual fees you can pay, but don't have more details. And any artists
> whose work isn't covered by one of those umbrellas, or another umbrella
> organization,
> would have to be paid separately, per separate agreement, I'd assume.
>
> Not a lot of money, necessarily, but critical to the artists whose work would
> get people to listen! (This is true even if you run the broadcast as a public
> service.)
>
> ari

I found some information from the bmi and ascap sites:

http://www.bmi.com/licensing/webcaster/index.asp

http://www.ascap.com/weblicense/webintro.html

Some of this is fairly straightforward but some of it is still a little
murky. The fees seem reasonable, bmi even has a non-profit agreement.
Tracking should not be too hard with some scripting and log files. I'll
still have to figure out who else, besides bmi/ascap, I'd have to deal with.
Hmm...maybe I'll have to sell some swanky tshirts to subsidize the fees.
*grin*

brian
--
"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines." --Anon