RE: 78 transfers

Dear Matt, Shirli, and Brian,

Thank you very much for your responses and advice.  I very much appreciate
it.

I realize that I didn't name the problem properly in my earlier post.  The
problem is not a hum that improper grounding causes, but rather the
scratchy noises that 78's have.  (We know how to deal with hums - that is,
once the damn record player is hooked up.)  I would like to get rid of the
scratchiness when I transfer the 78's onto cassettes or CD's.  My husband,
Josh Waletzky, who has 25 years of professional experience in dealing with
scratchy 78 recordings in his historical documentaries, says that getting
rid of the scratchiness without losing the quality of the signal requires
very expensive professional equipment.  Yes, you can get rid of the
"noise", but then you will also lose some of the signal, i.e., the voice,
if you do it on your home stereo, he says.  Using a preamplifier can help,
but you will still lose part of the range of the voice/music signal, he
says.  He himself has performed this music transfer in studios several
times, but it is very an expensive proposition, requiring very expensive
equipment.  Even professional sound editors don't buy this kind of
expensive equipment for their editing rooms, but rely on the paid services
of professional studios.  I was hoping that, since so many new mp3 players,
home CD-ROM writers, digital recorders, and other audio products have come
on the market in the last 2 years, that someone here might know of some
new, affordable solution for home use.  If it available now but not
affordable yet, I will wait to get this project going in a year or two.  (I
am already waiting 15 years.)  Some people may be willing to give up some
of the voice quality to get rid of the "noise", but I am still trying to
see if such a compromise can be avoided.  We own at least 200 Jewish 78's
and hundreds of LP's.  Several Yiddish groups I know are trying to figure
out the same problem.  And gaining a new closet has suddenly become a very
useful idea.

It would be great if anyone learns about such a new product would let us
know about it.  I am sure that lots of Jewish Internet radios will also be
interested in solving this problem.

Reyzl