RE: 78 transfers

>The
>problem is not a hum that improper grounding causes, but rather the
>scratchy noises that 78's have.

There isn't any automatic way of dealing with this, so far as I know. The
"traditional" method involves days or weeks of cutting out pops and skips. It's
easier now that things can be cut electronically, instead of physically, but
it's still a tremendous amount of work. Henry Sapoznik has overseen some
releases of remastered 78s that were quite good, I thought, although I believe
that the work was done by someone else.

The key is to get as good a master from the original 78s from which to work.
Then, alas, to actually do the work ;-).

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/