Re: What is Jewish Music?

>Far be it for me to equate my empathy for Holocaust survivors to being
>a survivor, but I do believe that as Jews we see ourselves as a people
>with a shared history and experience.  I would encourage those who are
>not survivors themselves (or children of survivors) to attempt to
>understand and feel the Shoah as they do.  And if music facilitates
>that process, I would encourage them to make and listen to such music.
>To say, you can never understand, so don't even try, is, I think,
>counter-productive.
>
>Bob
>
>BTW, this thread resonates with my study of the relationship of Blacks
>and Jews in music.  Some feel that Jews have no right to sing the
>blues.

Well put and all very pertinent, Bob. As a younger person--and more of a
musical nationalist--I used to believe that George Gershwin should not have
composed PORGY AND BESS, but rather IRVING AND SHEILA.  Years later, after more
familiarity with the work, composer, and the times and place he lived, I regret
having ever thought that. I wouldn't change a hair of PORGY AND BESS.

And yet, Lazare Saminsky, in his 1934 MUSIC OF THE GHETTO AND THE BIBLE,
derogatorily refers to Gershwin's works as "jazzberies." I certainly understand
how a founder of the St. Petersburg Folk Society and emigre from Russia's
anti-semitism and communist revolution would write this.

We can all go round and round about who is "serious" about what, who is a
dilletante and a dabbler, whose parents are survivors, Christians, rabbis, etc.
For me, it always comes down to two things: talent and the ability to execute
that talent. I could listen to Ravel's KADDISH and be far more moved than
hundreds of similar "Jewish music" works by composers with less talent and
facility--yet the correct lineage.

A fine musician may not always create great works, but the sensitivity and
experience that makes one a "great composer" or "great performer" will always
shine through.

I find this a far better gage for quality than checking someone's political or
religious beliefs.

Sincerely,

Eliott Kahn