Re: What is Jewish Music?

Responding to the message of <3B1D2903(dot)8B086C0B (at) staff(dot)chuh(dot)org>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

> Relax, it wasn't a challenge!  I just wanted to know what you all felt.  This
> is a
> discussion forum, isn't it?

Forgive, me!  I'm used to nasty verbal attacks and it's a reflex that isn't
always useful.

Per your question, I don't think I have enough information to even give my
opinion, especially since the piece hasn't even been written.  I will say
thought that non-Jewish composers who appropriate Jewish source materials often
give me the willies.  I get requests like this pretty often (and it's a bit
complicated to refuse to share musical knowledge with a student who asks for it
in a public university) and they often want to use Jewish sources to pursue some
kind of explicitly Christian agenda.  If that's the case, there's no way I could
consider it Jewish music, a conclusion I would hope would be shared by others on
the list.  When a non-Jewish student does this I often feel like that person is
coming into my house uninvited and helping himself to my most precious
possessions without asking.  Such a person can't possibly value what I teach him
in the same way I do.

2106 4th St. S
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 612 624-8001 (fax)