Re: What is Jewish Music?

The distinction between the composing of music (i.e., its source:  who, why,
for whom, etc.) and how it is used seems to me very useful and important.
It parallels the definition of folk music (generally) offered by Norm
Cohen--he refers to it on the liner notes for at least two important
collections of American folk music--which relies on not how the music
originated (e.g., by known or unknown composers, as "popular" music or not,
old or new) but on what *became* of it--on how people ("the folk," i.e.) use
it and regard it.  Pete Seeger, I think, is very much in accord with
this--as, fwiw, am I.  And I think this also accords with the definition
offered by the late Richard Neumann (two n's, I think), which I believe I've
shared before:  "the music of Jews at a given time and place."  In other
words, the music that Jews hear/sing/regard as Jewish music.

--Robert Cohen