Re: Sirba

Ah, interesting question.

Sure, the sarba (sa^rba~ or si^rba~; current Romanian orthography spells it
with the "a^") is named after the Serbs. But what does this mean? The Greeks
call a medium to fast 2/4 dance a "hasaposerviko" (literally, a butcher's
Serbian [dance]) or simply "serviko" -- also named after the Serbs, but a
different dance.

Now, here's an interesting little definition, which I'm translating from a
Romanian music dictionary (Dictionar de termeni muzicali, 1984) entry
written by dance scholar Constantin Costea:

    sirba - Romanian folk dance, with a binary rhythm, found throughout
    the whole country with diverse variants and names ("in trei ciocane"
    [in three hammers], "la bataie" [by/on the beat], etc.). It is also
known
    among the Bulgarians and the Serbs, who call it "Romanian dance."
    The sirba is danced in a semicircle formation, with arms on shoulders.
    It goes at a lively and fast clip, snaking around or danced in place,
    with springing and crossing-over [crossed] steps.

So the Serbs pass the buck and call it Romanian.

BTW, why is a bulgar called a bulgar? It doesn't sound very Bulgarian to
me... ;-) Has anyone come up with a definitive answer

Sandra

Sandra Layman