Re: Sirba

Helen Winkler" <winklerh (at) hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

>Just got word back from my Romanian dancing friend that she has never
>come across a documented dance connection between Serbians and the
>Romanian dance "sirba."  She has posed this same question to the
>various Romanian dance instructors from Romania that she has worked
>with and none of them are aware of a connection.

Of course I meant that the word came from Serbia, or rather that the
word indicated a Serb origin, not that the dance came from that
region.  In the 16th century in Moldavia and Galicia, musicians played
what they called a "Serb" fiddle (_serbska_) at dances and banquets.
Who knows? Maybe the name of the dance could have come from the
instrument (which was none other than the Byzantine lira).

Paul Gifford