Re: Slobin "klezmer" book

Abbi:
My CD is missing the track also. Other than that, it's a nice book and CD.
Well worth reading and owning. I was a bit dismayed with OUP at some of the
very minor typos that were not caught by editors and cleaned up, but other
than that, and the missing track, beautifully readable and very well
balanced with so much original field research.

I finished reading this work yesterday and it's a wonderful look at the
klezmer world and worldview: the title is truly apt. As always, Slobin
looks extensively at the sociology of Jewish music. His  creative and
plentiful use of metaphor, and comparative analyses with other ethnic
musics, (such as Celtic), can give any outsider a very good grounding in
'The Understanding' one needs to approach and truly Hear the music. It was
absolutely wonderful to read the last case study sections where he leads to
the comparative analysis of the 'gas nig'n' with such dexterity --and the
ability to make even that 'single segment' samples meaningful to either
beginners or experts. All signs of a great teacher. Bravo.

Slobin mentions the idea of an extensive article on comparative analyses of
variations (by performer) of particular klezmer songs--which would
contribute enormously to the literature and not included in the book.
Anyone working on doing that, do you know? As always, with these kinds of
works, I'm starving for more discussion of particulars--, let's say,
'traditional' serious musical analysis, (if that's possible, even though he
makes a case that it isn't really). Is someone currently making a try at
that do you know?
Judy

At 09:35 AM 2/13/01 +0000, you wrote:

>Just a quick question - does your CD with the Slobin book also have track
>5 missing (or is that just a UK copyright thing or something)?
>
>I second whoever it was who recommended the book - it's fab.
>
>Abbi
>
>On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com wrote:
>
>> In a message dated 02/07/2001 9:55:12 PM !!!First Boot!!!,
lubet001 (at) umn(dot)edu
>> writes:
>>

>> > Not exactly a survey, but Mark Slobin's new book, Fiddler on the Move
>> > (Oxford), about the klezmer revival, comes with a really interesting
>> > cd of three pieces, each in multiple renditions from 1920 to the
>> > present.  They are analyzed in an essay.  Highly recommended, as is
>> > the rest of the book.
>> >

>> OK, who is selling it?
>> Chicago Lori

Judith S. Pinnolis
Reference Librarian
Coordinator for Publications and Training
Brandeis University Libraries
Goldfarb Library MS045
P.O Box 549110
Waltham, MA 02454-9110